Thursday, January 15, 2009

College Sports, You know... Football.

Why does Sokolove refer to football as "The S.U.V. of the college campus?" Do you agree?
Do big sports improve school spirit?
Are big sports revenue-producing or draining?

In, Football is a Sucker's Game, Sokolove describes the state of modern college Football and its effects on students and Universities. He calls football, "the SUV of the college campus," because it is big, drains resources, lots of fun, and potentially destructive. In my opinion this statement sums it up. He talks at length about how these mega programs from well known Universities hardly make any money and are usually losing money at the end of the season. The number of people involved in running a college football team is daunting. Their is the coaching staff, the student athletes, the administrative staff, the boosters, the donors, the launderers, the medical staff, and the list goes on. Schools are forced to pour money into the newest, most appealing facilities or they run the possibility of losing potential star players to higher profile schools. I cannot really see a connection between all of this and the benefit for the everyday student or the University itself. The school can make a name for itself or it can be made a joke. The Universities who have losing football teams are always going to lose money. Donors become less interested, fans I don't care anymore, and the star players want nothing to do with them. These schools are left in an ever worsening financial hole that is terribly hard to get out of. Even if the big name schools don't have a perfect season and make it to a BCS bowl game they will lose some credibility and money.
For myself, as an average student, I do feel good to finally have a team to cheer for but its not like I could take my Dad to a game. The seats are too expensive or sold out. I think school spirit is built from the students accomplishing things together as a student body. Sports should only be a small part of that. Football does not bring me any closer to my fellow students.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to go the other way with the idea that "Football does not bring me any close to my fellow students."

    One of my favorite times of the year comes on Saturdays in the fall. If I'm lucky, there is a game to be played at Autzen Stadium and at least 4,000 of my peers mixed in with the tens of thousands of other cheering Duck fans. I think one of my favorite parts, squashed right in-between donning the green and yellow and the event itself, is the pre-game and walk to the stadium. While pregame-ing, it is a social construction that brings me together with my peers with the help of my friends Bud and Busch. For that time, my friends list becomes bigger than that of a 15 year old emo girl on Myspace. Anybody walking around wearing the same colors as me as a-OK in my book. It builds community. It builds pride. And it provides a focal point for my fellow students and I to gather round and grow a little closer.

    ReplyDelete